Dear Yellowstone Families,
First, we hope you and your Yellowstone scholars are well and enjoying this summer, despite everything that’s happening in our city, state, and nation. We are very eager to see your children again in August and begin the school year, and we wanted to update you on plans for resuming instruction.
On July 3, we sent an initial notice and launched a family survey regarding Yellowstone’s proposed plan for the start of school. Thank you for taking the time to respond to the survey; we heard from a majority of our families across Yellowstone Academy and Yellowstone College Prep. Your feedback showed that only a small portion of families are comfortable returning to on campus instruction in August. At the same, much has changed over the last month regarding the number of COVID cases in greater Houston, and a public health order was released today that also impacts surrounding schools’ re-entry plans.
As such, we have altered our plans for the start of school, keeping the best interests of your child at the forefront of all discussions. Here’s what you need to know:
- The first day of school for Yellowstone Academy and Yellowstone College Prep will be Monday, August 24. The last day of school is now planned to be June 4th.
- All instruction will take place at home through September 11.
- Pending further guidance from state and local authorities, we plan to resume on-campus instruction Monday, September 14. The on-campus safety protocols and “pod system” discussed in the last communication will remain in effect.
- All families will have the option to either begin on-campus instruction on September 14th or continue 100% home learning through the end of the fall semester. You will be asked to decide your preference the week of September 1.
- We are working to ensure that every student has a Chromebook and internet access by August 24.
- Based on your feedback and in the interest of your child’s health and safety, when on-campus instruction resumes, no transportation will be offered for the 2020-21 school year.
We are committed to frequent communication throughout this period to ensure that you are able to provide feedback regarding our continued planning for the semester. You will be receiving significant information over the next few weeks regarding Chromebook distribution, supplies and uniforms, and preparation for the first day of school on August 24. We will send this information through Remind101, Class DoJo, and Skyward. All of this information will also be updated on our website at www.yellowstoneschools.org/back2school. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions, feedback, or concerns.
You have been so understanding through this unprecedented time. Thank you. We are confident that by continuing to work together and remain flexible, we can ensure a wonderful school year for the entire Yellowstone family.
Please stay safe and healthy. We look forward to updating you again soon.
Candice Lapid, Principal for Yellowstone Academy
Mesha White, Principal for Yellowstone College Prep