We hope this message finds you safe and healthy. We know that this has been a particularly difficult few weeks for our city as COVID-19 cases continue to spike and there remains so much uncertainty about how schools will re-open this August. In the midst of all of this, we want you to know that the Yellowstone team has been working diligently to put together a plan that prioritizes safety for our students and staff, and also provides the opportunity for your student to receive the best education possible through this pandemic. Here are a few important updates:
- Final Reminder to Receive a $285 debit card through P-EBT: If you have not already applied, please take a moment to click on this link to learn more about how you can receive a $285 debit card to support your family’s food and grocery needs. This is available to every Yellowstone family: https://yellowstoneschools.org/2020/06/p-ebt-application-now-open/. The deadline is June 30, so fill out the application today!
- First Day of School and School Calendar: The first day for Yellowstone College Prep will be August 18. Our first day for Yellowstone Academy will be August 19. We have posted the school year calendar on our website here so that you can see our current plan for the coming year. You will note that we have added the potential for the 2020-21 school year to continue from June 1 through June 18 in the event that we have to shut down operations at any point during the year due to ongoing COVID-19 concerns. We would ask that you not plan anything through this time in June so that we can be as flexible as possible as the year unfolds. While we believe this is our final calendar, we will let you know of any significant changes as soon as possible.
- Will Yellowstone classes be in-person next year or will remote learning continue? Our leadership team has been working strategically to put together a plan that prioritizes in-person learning, while still ensuring that students and staff are safe at all times. We know that remote learning will need to be part of our plan, but our hope is to have as much in-person school next year as possible. Our planning has been delayed while the state of Texas still finalizes their guidance for how schools can re-open in person. We were supposed to receive that guidance as early as June 16th, and while some of the rules have taken shape, we are still waiting for additional information from state and local officials before we can release our plan. We know that this period of waiting is frustrating, and we will keep you updated and provide more information as soon as we receive the additional guidance we need from our government officials.
Yellowstone is uniquely positioned because of our size and campus facility to serve every one of our students next year in a way that maximizes student learning and safety. We are excited to share more of our plans and get your feedback as quickly as possible. Thank you again for partnering with us to ensure the best education for your child. We look forward to following up with you again soon and hope that you remain healthy and safe through this time of uncertainty.
The Yellowstone Leadership Team